Monday, September 28, 2009

grilled chicken tenders and garden vegetables



2 chicken tenders or one boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 red pepper cut into two pieces
1 small eggplant sliced lengthwise
1 zucchini sliced lengthwise

olive oil
baby greens
4 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons homemade pesto

I use a cast iron grill pan and heat it on a medium heat, coating it with oil.
i also coat the vegetables with oil and grill until tender...several minutes per side each.
I grill the chicken last, after coating it with oil and dust it with garlic salt on each side.
I serve it by stacking the vegetables, chicken and salad greens on a plate and top it with the mayo/pesto mixture.

Cost for this meal ...the chicken came in a pack for $6 and I used about 1/4 of it and froze the remainder. I happened to pick the vegetables from my garden, but at the farmers market, the peppers were $.50 each and the zucchini and eggplant were $1 a pound. The salad greens were priced at $2.50 a pound.
For the mayo I use Helmans and the pesto was homemade using only basil, garlic, oil and kosher salt.

It was most delicious, very economical and under 400 calories per serving too. I had a glass of wine to top it off.

Making the pictures of food I was about to eat was quite a different issue. I wasn't as prepared to tackle that as I thought I was. Being the food photographer, the stylist and the patron all at once was a complex experience. Tomorrow I will set up a better photo space off of the kitchen and make test images of stand in food.

All in all, not bad for a first day.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate this meal! It was delicious! The sauce was great on the veggies and the chicken but it could have easily been applied directly to my thighs and achieved the same results - a smile across my face.

    ReplyDelete